Monday, April 29, 2013

Page 24

But... why? I don’t...

Like I said, we don’t always agree with one another. That extends to more essential questions, as well. Such as whether or not human lives are even worth protecting in the first place.

That... that sounds horrific...

You see? If we tread into a battlefield, we’ll almost certainly encounter other reapers with servants. And frankly, you are nowhere near ready for that. Their servants will stomp you into the dust.

Aren’t I unkillable, though?

You are, but I’m not. And until you’re able to protect me, we’ll be keeping our heads low. I may be a grim reaper, but I don’t have a death wish.

O-okay...

But there is a reason why I chose Brighton specifically,’ said Garovel, hesitating slightly. ‘There’s something... unsettling about this city.

Unsettling? How do you mean?

Garovel gave a strained expression. ‘I’m not sure. There’s a presence in this city I’ve never felt before. And it’s hiding. I think we may be able to draw it out, given time.

Oh... Hmm.

Did you have any other questions? Feel free to ask me anything.

Hector bit into an apple. Chewing used more muscles than he realized, and he felt his neck and face aching in protest. ‘Actually, there is something. That woman from last night... were you... I mean... were you going to let her die...? In order to catch the murderer, I mean. If I hadn’t interrupted, would you have--

Whoa, whoa, hold on now. The plan was to have the police catch him in the midst of torturing her, not with her dead body. The reason he came so close to killing her was because you spooked him by knocking on the door. Otherwise, he would have been torturing her all night, which would have given the police ample time to arrive.

5 comments:

  1. "I may be a grim reaper, but I don’t have a death wish."

    Love that line :)


    Reading on...


    Scott Scherr

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed that some dialogue, used single quote or double quote, i thought Garovel uses single quote to mark his unique dialog, if so, but why did this occur?

    Hector bit into an apple. Chewing used more muscles than he realized, and he felt his neck and face aching in protest. ‘Actually,
    there is something. That woman from last night... were you... I mean...
    were you going to let her die...? In order to catch the murderer, I
    mean. If I hadn’t interrupted, would you have--’



    It will be better if double quotes or single quotes usage are consistent, so readers will recognize the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, actually, single quotes denote "thought," not just Garovel's dialogue. This was established on page 8 and has stayed consistent throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah we get a hint as to the antagonist or the overarching plot. Nice.

    And I'd forgotten to add in a precios comment that Garovel's explanation of what he is, what Hector is, and the link between them also explained how both of them could actually be killed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A tiny hint at the connection between Garovel and Hector, and a hint at an antagonist. And Hector being... pragmatic :p

    ReplyDelete